Individuals struggling with an addiction have to overcome both the physical and emotional components associated with both the use of the substance, as well as withdrawal from the substance once that use comes to an end. Since addiction is not just simply the physical act of using the drug, it is imperative that individuals understand the root causes of their use and addiction. By understanding what caused one to start using, patients are able to work towards effective and safe ways to overcome challenges without resorting back to substances. Individual therapy is an extremely beneficial tool for patients to incorporate into their treatment. Individual therapy takes place in a one-on-one setting between a patient and a trained counselor. Individuals struggling with an addiction to morphine, prescription medications, and heroin have found the following benefits through the use of individual therapy:
- Recognizing traumatic events that previously took place that may have aided in the desire to begin abusing substances
- Developing new viewpoints regarding the apparent and motivating causes of substance abuse/addiction
- Creating healthy skills for managing stress as well as harmful emotions
- Dealing with both setbacks and successes during the course of treatment
- Creating new strategies for handling future situations in which the use of drugs might be present and alluring
- Developing individual goals for both the present and future
By truly understanding one’s own emotions, feelings, behaviors, and the causes behind the use of substances, individuals are able to prepare themselves for a healthy, drug-free future. Individual therapy allows patients to openly discuss their feelings, as well as gain a sense of support through their therapeutic relationship with their counselor.
Patients who receive individual therapy are more likely to experience the following in addition to the previously mentioned benefits:
- An increase in self-confidence
- An improvement in self-esteem
- Lowered levels of stress
- An increased sense of self-awareness
These benefits pave the way for individuals to positively transition into recovery and shed the chains of addiction. Western Washington Comprehensive Treatment Centers believe that the use of individual therapy is imperative for those working to overcome their addiction to morphine, heroin, and prescription medications. Our dedicated and compassionate team of highly trained counselors provides individualized care to patients throughout the entire recovery process. Patients are able to check-in with counselors throughout treatment should any issues arise while they are receiving care through our programs.
Western Washington Comprehensive Treatment Center provides the highest quality of care for those struggling with an addiction. Our team supplies the skills required to achieve and maintain a happy, healthy, and sober life. Contact us today if you or someone you love would benefit from the treatments available at Western Washington Comprehensive Treatment Centers.